My love of Oakshott fabrics is not exactly a secret. They’ve featured in many of my quilts, and had a starring role in several (most notably the Oakshott Explosion). That’s why I was so excited to call dibs on the beautiful purple and green Freesia bundle in the Oakshott Colourshott Bundle BlogHop hosted by Lynne.
I can accept no responsibility for any drool-related computer damage
As always, photographs just don’t do these fabrics justice – it’s impossible to see how they glow and shimmer unless you get to see them in person. I spent absolutely ages putting them in different orders, pairing them up and generally stroking them and can absolutely and confidently assert that they are at least five gazillion times more gorgeous in real life.
In order to show the colours off properly I decided to make two sizes of improv triangles on a background of Camargue – a lovely, warm off-white. Improv triangles are quick and easy, and so much fun to sew.
For each large triangle, you will need a 3 x 3.5” rectangle of coloured fabric and two 2 x 4.5” rectangles of background fabric. Lay one background piece diagonally across the coloured rectangle and sew, then trim the seam allowance and press:
Repeat with the other background rectangle:
Now trim the piece so that it measures the original 3.5” high, and there is 0.25” seam allowance on either side of the triangle base:
The small triangles are made in exactly the same way, but using a 1.75 x 1.25” piece for the triangle and two 2.5 x 2” background rectangles. Trim these little triangles to 1.75” high with a 0.25” seam allowance on either side of the base.
Varying the angle of the background rectangles will change the shape and size of the resulting triangle, so don’t be afraid to mix things up a bit. I made a whole load of triangles and then pieced them together in pairs, matching them by the width of their bases. These were then sewn together into long strips and set into more of the background fabric.
All that negative space cried out for some heavy quilting so I went all matchsticky with lines about 0.25” apart in Aurifil 50wt (2021, as always), leaving the triangles unquilted. It took absolutely ages, but I love the effect – the triangles really pop out of the background.
The binding matches the background, with just a teensy bit of colour on one side to tie it all together.
Don’t forget to check out all the other stops on the blog hop. There have been some gorgeous projects already, with more to come.
31 June: Jo from My Bearpaw